It's all about that rhubarb and ginger...
Rhubarb and Ginger. Is there a better combination? I thought these flavours worked best in a humble loaf cake. I've paired this cake with my homemade rhubarb and vanilla jam which you can find the recipe on this blog. I bought my rhubarb from my local food market which is borough market in London. For optimum rhubarbiness, make sure it is lovely and ripe and pink!
Makes 1 medium loaf cake or 12 mini loaf cakes
200g Almond Powder
100g Plain Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
75g Caster Sugar
75g Light Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
2 Large pieces stem ginger, chopped
2 Sticks Rhubarb, roughly chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celsius. Grease and Line the loaf tins with butter and greaseproof paper.
2. In a mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and salt together until pale and fluffy.
3. Gradually add the eggs to the batter and mix until fully combined.
4. Fold in the flour in 2 inclusions. Once incorporated, fold in the chopped stem ginger.
5. Pour half of the batter into the tin, place the chopped rhubarb evenly across the batter. (If you are making mini loaf cakes, put 2 pieces into each mould. Pour the remaining batter into the tins until 2/3 full.
6. Place into the oven and bake for 25 mins ( large loaf) or 12 mins (mini loaf)
7. Leave to cool on a cooling rack. Using the syrup in the jar of the stem ginger. Brush over the loaf cakes.
8. Decorate with a drizzle of a mixture of icing sugar and water.
9. Enjoy with my rhubarb and vanilla jam.