Sticky Toffee and Pear loaf cake
A good sticky toffee pudding is probably one of the best puddings ever.. I tried hard not to ruin the beautiful simplicity of the dessert, adding some fresh seasonal pears I felt enhanced it and dare I say.. even better?! This recipe includes a beautiful butterscotch sauce which, when served, should drown the pudding in my opinion!
You will need a small loaf tin.
For the sponge:
200g Light Muscovado Sugar
230g Self Raising Flour
2 tbsp. Black Treacle
1 tsp. Salt
2 small pears, finely diced
1 tsp. Vanilla extract
110g Whole milk
For the sauce:
300g Light Muscovado Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
Lightly roasted hazelnuts
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees. Grease and Line the loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
2. In a free standing mixer or whisk, beat together the butter, sugar, treacle, salt and vanilla until pale and fluffy.
3. Fold in the flour until well combined, then gradually add the milk slowly to the mixture. Making sure to mix as you go.
4. Finally add the diced pears to the mixture, making sure the pears are evenly distributed throughout the mix.
5. Now transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf tin, then place in the oven for about 25 minutes. It should be ready when a knife comes out clean.
6. In the meantime, we can make the butterscotch sauce.
7. In a small pan, place the sugar, butter, cream and salt. Bring this to a boil and cook until you achieve a lovely caramel colour. It should only take a few minutes. Pour this into a jug ready to serve with the pudding.
8. Now for the pear crisp as decorations. They aren't necessary but they are a lovely and quick idea to dress the dessert if it's a special occasion!
9. Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice the pears to about 1-2 mm thick.
10. Place on a tray lined with baking parchment. Once you have the desired amount, put in an oven preheated to about 130 degrees celsius, and cook for about 10 mins, then flip the crisps over and cook for another 10 mins until crispy.
10. Now for the assembly, once the sponge is out of the oven but still a little warm, turn out onto a serving plate. Pour over 1/2 the sauce leaving some behind for someone who wants more. Then decorate with the crisps and some hazelnuts (these can be omitted for allergy purposes)
All you have left to do is enjoy it! x